Dear Clients of Allen Heights Vet Hospital,
It is with deep sadness and a good dose of frustration that we are announcing the closure of Allen Heights Veterinary Hospital. Our last day of seeing patients will be July 1st.
The economic and labor forces brought about by the pandemic and the ‘great resignation’ have pushed this business to its breaking point. We have tried to hire and we have worked with a broker to try to sell/merge practices, but nothing has panned out. When we are constantly under staffed we can’t offer the appointments and surgery services that keep us a vital practice. That is why we are closing the hospital.
What this means to you:
- As of Tuesday May 31st we will have a phone tree answering the phone for non-urgent calls. You will be directed to leave a message on the appropriate line. For example, medication requests, callbacks, appts and record requests will all have their own line. We are monitoring the phones and will get back to you within 24 hours. Please communicate through texting(413 443 4949) and email (Allenheightsvet@gmail.com) when possible. We continue to be short staffed and our focus needs to be taking care of patients, so please leave phone messages, text and email and reserve phone conversations for urgent needs.
- After July 1, for a period of time, we will continue to follow up on communications, but it may not be on a daily basis.
- We will be operating on modified schedule for the month of June. Surgery and dental procedures for the first two weeks only. All other pending surgery and dental procedures will be deferred to your future veterinary service.
- Emergency and Urgent care: We will triage any emergency on site. Urgent care will be triaged by phone to see if an emergent visit is needed and will be fit into our schedule as best we can accommodate. We may have to refer out for definitive care if deemed necessary.
- Animals with chronic or life-long medication and prescription foods will get prescriptions filled with as many refills as we can provide within the scope of the veterinary and pharmacy regulations. Please call us before June 25th so we can order or refill what you need. If you order and prepay we can stock up and have your order reserved for you. We will still be using Covetrus (our online pharmacy) and ordering through Wedgewood for compounded meds for the time being.
If you received a paper copy of this letter, we do not have your email address. Email will be our preferred method of communication. Please leave a message, text or email us your preferred email address.
- Now through July we will be emailing you copies of your pets records. If you need them sooner, please let us know. If you are unable receive emails we can email them to your new vet, just let us know who that is. If you need paper copies mailed to you or a detailed copy of the records, there will be a small fee for this.
You may still receive reminder cards and emails from the computerized service. We will be disabling these as soon as possible. If you get a reminder, please follow up with your new vet for the service listed on the card.
A list of the central Berkshire County vets and the 24/7 emergency services is included below.
Thank you so much for your patronage over the years. It has meant a lot to us to have run a successful vet practice for 15 years. We were able to build up a good practice with our friendly, caring, talented and dedicated staff. Over the years we’ve made some friends, shared lots of animal stories, laughs, and tears. We will all miss seeing your pets at the hospital and miss chatting with you.
Dr. Elizabeth Tullett
And the staff of Allen Heights Vet.
Local Veterinary Hospitals
Berkshire Veterinary Hospital
730 ½ Crane Ave Pittsfield Ma 01201
Tel: 413 499 2820
249 Maple St Hinsdale Ma 01235
413 655 2746
South Street Veterinary Hospital
864 South Street Pittsfield Ma 01201
413 443 9069
Hilltowns Veterinary Clinic
133 S. Washington State Rd.
413 623 5329
Pittsfield Veterinary Hospital
1634 West Housatonic St Pittsfield Ma 01201
413 499 1580
North County Vet Hospital
838 Curran Hwy.
North Adams Ma, 01247
413 664 4570
Lenox Cat Hospital
450 Pittsfield Road Lenox, MA 01240
Emergency Referral Numbers:
VESH (South Deerfield) 413 665-4911
Upstate Veterinary Specialties (Latham) 518 783-3198
Capital District Referral Hospital (Latham) 518 785-1094